- David Cage initially wasn't going to sign with Sony after completion of Heavy Rain to publish what became Beyond : Two Souls, hence why post release in numerous interviews he would tout Heavy Rains better than expected sales, he was trying to sell himself to other publishers. None of them were interested, Sony bit because they didn't have many exclusives and Quantic Dream had no choice.
- Microsoft uses Ryse as a performance benchmark internally. Presently - post SDK improvements -the game is topping at a variable 50-60fps at 900p, the team believes it could crack a"mostly locked" 60fps at 1080p by the middle of next year.
- Evolution Studios is going to suffer significant layoffs in 4-5 months time. This is due to lukewarm reception and the extended troubled development of Driveclub (in addition to lack of direction with the last two motorstorm games). If the studio survives, it's likely going to be re-focused to small digital titles.
- There is definitely going to be a Gears of War collection released in late 2015 similar to the Master Chief collection, though the visuals will merely be updated and tweaked, this won't be a full on remake (ala Anniversary), but will include a Beta to Gears of War 4 (due November 15th 2016) and a cross-game lobby of ALL Gears of War game maps.
- Uncharted 4: A Thiefs End will no longer be shipping with split-screen campaign co-op due to technical issues.
- Halo Wars is definitely coming back. Microsofts intention is for the series to act as bridges between mainline Halo games, effectively replacing/accompanying Spartan Ops type expansions. Full voice and Kinect support accompany controller based gameplay.
- Sony is planning PS4 games to release on Playstation Now, the initial intention is to give a 12-18 month exclusivity window for the native PS4 versions.
- Microsoft have a similar timed exclusivity window with 2 as yet unannounced third party publisher(s?) as they have with The Rise of the Tomb Raider. One new IP, the other existing. The existing one is a much bigger deal than Tomb Raider.
- Scalebound has Online co-op along the lines of a multiplayer Shadow of the Collossus
- Microsoft is monitoring Forza Horizons impact as an IP, in the event of franchise fatigue they have the option of reverting to a Project Gotham Title.
Thursday, 9 October 2014
10 Gaming industry titbits
Posted by Robert MacRawley at 15:42